Thursday, September 29, 2016

Diplomat Jim Patterson on Senator Dianne Feinstein's Letter on the Korean Nuclear Threat


Dear Mr. Patterson:

Thank you for contacting me regarding North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile programs.  I appreciate the time you took to write, and I sincerely apologize for the delay in my response.

As you may know, on September 8, 2016, North Korea announced that it had conducted a test of a nuclear warhead designed to be mounted on ballistic missiles.  This is North Korea’s fifth nuclear test, and the second this year.  The earlier test, in January 2016, was followed-up with an unprecedented number of missile launches, including the test of a submarine-launched ballistic missile. 

Please know that I share your deep concern regarding these and other recent North Korean provocations, and I strongly believe that North Korea should not be allowed to possess either nuclear weapons or intercontinental ballistic missiles.  I have supported multilateral and unilateral sanctions against North Korea in an effort to compel its government to uphold its international obligations and end its nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs.  In particular, I believe the United States should immediately seek stronger multilateral sanctions at the United Nations and pressure China to more vigorously enforce already-existing sanctions.

In addition to sanctions, the United States has taken a number of steps to protect allies and U.S. service members stationed in the region.  For instance, the United States has sold advanced Patriot and Aegis missile defense systems to Japan and is currently co-developing advanced missile defense weapons. Additionally, on July 7, 2016, the United States and South Korea agreed to place America’s most advanced missile defense system, known as the Terminal High Altitude Area Defense system, in South Korea.  Of course, these defensive weapons systems are in addition to the tens of thousands of soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines that are either stationed or continuously rotated throughout the region.

As the Ranking Member of the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence, please be assured that I will continue to closely monitor developments in North Korea’s nuclear weapons and ballistic missile programs, and I will keep your thoughts in mind as the Senate discusses United States policy toward North Korea.

Once again, thank you for writing.  I hope that you will continue to keep me informed about issues of importance to you.  Should you have any further comments or questions, please feel free to contact my Washington, D.C., office at (202) 224-3841 or visit my website at www.feinstein.senate.gov.  Best regards.

Sincerely yours,


  Dianne Feinstein
         United States Senator

Further information about my position on issues of concern to California and the nation are available at my website,feinstein.senate.gov. And please visit my YouTubeFacebook and Twitter for more ways to communicate with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment