Monday, November 14, 2016

Diplomat Jim Patterson on Veteran's Day


Visiting the Star of Academy Award-winning actor Harold Russell who received two Academy Awards (one more than John Wayne) for his role as a returning WWII soldier in the 1946 film "The Best Years of Our Lives." Russell lost both forearms in war and held his two Academy Awards with his prosthetic hands.  Russell was also a fighter for employment rights for the disabled. I met him in Washington DC during and after passage of the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990. I am proud to say I shook his hand.


Veteran's Day Recollection 

In my middle elementary school years in central Alabama, it was common for boys and girls to play softball during recess. We played on two different fields on the schoolyard. The field the boys played on was near the bank of a large wooded ditch.  

A batter, one day, hit the softball into the ditch. The male teacher called “time out” until us boys climbed down the earthen bank into the ditch to locate our only softball. Our group of perhaps as many as twenty young boys searched the ditch dutifully.

I saw something on the ground. It was a metallic object partially buried in the dirt. At first, I used my shoe to attempt to dislodge the metallic object. After a few minutes I used my hands to remove it from its apparent long term location in the Alabama soil.

After wiping away some cold, dark soil I realized I had a discovered something unusual. I had seen similar objects in old war movies on TV. While searching for a softball, I unearthed an object of war: A hand grenade with its handle intact.

I showed the hand grenade to a playmate who displayed no interest in it. He was busy looking for a softball, a sporting item, while I had located a hand grenade an object intended to kill. My playmate’s mind was on sports and my mind became fixed on the possibility the hand grenade could be dangerous. It might explode as I handled it. It might explode if I threw it back on the ground.

I climbed out of the wooded ditch as my playmates continued to search for the softball. I could hear them talking and laughing as I carried the hand grenade to the male teacher who stood patiently in the sun as his students hunted for the lost softball.

I walked up to my teacher and handed him the hand grenade. It is understatement to say It caught him by surprise. He took it from my hands and confirmed what I knew I had found.

“Jimmy,” he said, eyes wide with astonishment, “you found a hand grenade.”

We both looked at each other in silence. Perhaps we were both thinking the same thought.
Thousands of miles away war raged in Vietnam. Newspapers printed front page photos of dead and dying U.S. and Vietnamese troops. There were photos of Vietnamese children crying at the corpse of a family member. Perhaps it was their their last family member. Other photos showed Vietnamese children, perhaps war orphans, standing alone looking at the horrors of war all around them.

Perhaps my teacher and I were having the same thought as the hand grenade, maybe a war souvenir from an Alabama veteran, brought the war in Vietnam from the jungles thousands of miles away to our small Alabama schoolyard and into our lives and minds.

My teacher was past the age of military service for Vietnam but, in the mid 1906s, the war was in my future. War was in store for me and all my playmates. Years later, some of my classmates volunteered as soon as they could to escape school.

By the time I graduated high school, President Nixon had ended the draft. Peace talks began. The war in Vietnam was in its final stages.

Some classmates never came back from Vietnam.  I honor them, their service and sacrifice on Veteran’s Day. Some classmates did return but were never the same for the acts they committed and the death and destruction they saw and it overwhelmed their minds. I can understand that. So can my elementary school teacher.

The hand grenade, a weapon of war, death and destruction, I found as a youth in the wooded ditch while searching for a lost softball that long ago day overwhelmed my young mind and that of my teacher as we stood in silence and looked at it and into each other’s eyes.  War and its weapons have a way of overwhelming minds whether in faraway battlefields or my Alabama playground.

-30-

James Patterson, former U.S. diplomat, is a Washington DC-based writer and speaker. JEPWriter@gmail.com


Valley (Alabama) Times News Wednesday November 9 2016 My hometown newspaper
Old Dynamite Discovered Near Elementary School
LANETT — Two citizens cleaning up trash near Huguley School Monday discovered an item that appeared to be a stick of old dynamite in the 3900 block of 32nd Street SW and notified law enforcement. Lanett Police Chief Angie Spates said officers responded to the location and photographed the item, which was sent to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Montgomery. "An agent with the Alabama Law Enforcement Agency bomb squad was sent to the site and determined there was no need for evacuation of the school but that all students and faculty should remain inside of the enclosed building," said Spates. "Contact was made with officials at Huguley Elementary to advise them of the situation and the decision was made to put the school on soft lock-down until additional agents arrived to take possession of the item." It was later determined that the object found was indeed a stick of dynamite that could possibly have been there since the early 1970s, but no longer contained ingredients that could be used in a harmful manner. Due to the recovery process by bomb squad personnel, parents encountered a road block when they went to the school to pick up their children Monday afternoon, which was cleared shortly thereafter and normal traffic resumed
My cousin Sandy in Vietnam circa 1960s.


My cousin Sandy in Busan South Korea 1954. Busan  (부산 or 釜山(Korean pronunciation: pusʰan]), officially Busan Metropolitan City, romanized as Pusan before 2000, is South Korea's second-largest city. Sandy told me in 1954 it was only rice fields, farming and fishing. He said a Korean family had a worn out dishing net and he worked to fix it for them. It was so bad he said he ordered a new net from Japan. The two Korean guys in the photos were his friends who lived with him. One translation of friend is chingu and it is written in different ways in Korean language. 




No comments:

Post a Comment